This week I was really excited to make a healthier version of the Chicken Potpie that I had at PieBird. Before I go into the potpie recipe, I’m going to share with you the most versatile recipe ever: Crock Pot Shredded Chicken.
I literally make this chicken almost every week and it can be used with anything! You need shredded chicken for this recipe, so I thought I’d share it with you today. Ok Here it goes:
1 lb Chicken Breast
2 cups Chicken Broth
…and thats it. Put it in your crockpot on high for 4 hours and then shred it with 2 forks, although it’ll basically fall apart when its done. I use this on salads, to make my own chicken salad, in recipes, pretty much anything.
So now you have chicken. Moving on…
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp butter or margarine
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups mixed frozen vegetables (I used a mix of corn, peas, and carrots)
1 large potato
1 Cup sliced mushrooms (or more if you want)
1 1/2 cup shredded chicken breast
2 Tbsp dried parsley
1 package of refrigerated biscuits
1. Preheat the oven to 425F and grease a 3 qt baking dish.
2. Whisk together the broth, milk, flour, and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
3. Microwave potato for about 5-6 minutes. Once it is softened, cut it into small cubes and remove skin.
4. Microwave mushrooms for about 2 minutes. Remove from the water and set aside with potatoes.
5. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped celery, onions, and garlic. Cook until softened, about 6 minutes.
6. Stir in mixed vegetables, potatoes, mushrooms, and chicken. Stir and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
7. Add in broth and stir until the mixture reaches a boil and starts to thicken. Finally, add parsley and stir.
9. Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden brown. Enjoy!
This turned out sooo delicious! I like how it can serve as a dinner for the whole family, rather than just having an individual potpie. I hope you guys enjoy it!
I’m going to be out of town next week so I won’t be posting. I’m sure I’ll have lots of delicious food to share with you guys from my trip though.